Women’s history month is a time to celebrate the strongest women in history.
With Women’s History Month in full swing, it’s important to remember how strong us girls really are. Keep yourself motivated and inspired with 50 of the best strong woman quotes out there. And always remember why we celebrate International Women’s Day!
Society throughout history has always perpetuated the idea that men are the strong ones, but if we’re being honest, with the struggles women have had to endure through the years, it’s no question that we’ve worked for our titles as the strong, independent women of today.
Look how far we’ve come in the last 100 years or so, ladies! We’ve fought blood, sweat and tears to get to where we are — and we still have a long way to go. Nevertheless, we persist.
So to keep you motivated and renew that sense of pride you should have for being a strong, persistent, powerful woman, look to these 50 quotes to keep you going.
1. A strong woman knows that not everyone is going to like her, and that’s OK.
“A strong woman accepts both compliments & criticism graciously, knowing that it takes both sun & rain for a flower to grow.”
2. Strong women know that it’s not in the destination, it’s in the journey.
“A strong woman knows she has strength enough for the journey, but a woman of strength knows it is in the journey where she will become strong.”
3. A strong woman can only be with an equally strong man.
“A strong man can handle a strong woman. A weak man will say she has attitude.”
4. A strong woman doesn’t need your approval, she does what she wants.
“I do a thing called what I want.”
5. Strong women make the best role models.
“Be a strong woman. So your daughter will have a role model and your son will know what to look for in a woman when he’s a man. ”
6. A strong woman can get a little smug at times.
“A strong woman looks a challenge in the eye and gives it a wink.”
7. A strong woman doesn’t take any guff from anybody.
“There’s fire in her … If loved correctly, she will warm your entire home. If abused, she will burn it down.”
8. Strong women aren’t afraid to tell it like it is.
“She was a wild one; always stomping on eggshells that everyone else tip-toed on.” -Kaitlin Foster
9. Strong women should be feared, for they can do anything.
“She has been through hell. So believe me when I say, fear her when she looks into the fire and smiles.”
10. Strong women build each other up.
“Life is tough, my darling, but so are you.” -Stephanie Bennett-Henry
11. Some strong women are strong because they have to be.
“Women are like tea bags. You never know how strong they are until they are in hot water.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
12. A strong woman doesn’t need anyone’s approval.
“If you live for people’s acceptance, you’ll die from their rejections.” -Lecrae
13. A strong woman doesn’t need a man, especially a weak one.
“A weak man can’t love a strong woman. He won’t know what to do with her.”
14. Strong women don’t accept sexist crap.
“Strong women don’t have ‘attitudes’, we have standards.”
15. Be strong and fierce! Yas, Queen!
“The woman who doesn’t require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.” -Mohadesa Najumi
16. A great piece of advice from a fellow strong woman.
“At 70 years old, if I could give my younger self one piece of advice, It would be to use the phrase ‘f— off’ much more frequently.” -Helen Mirren
17. A strong woman never gives up.
“A strong woman loves, forgives, walks away, lets go, tries again, and perseveres … no matter what life throws at her.”
18. Strong women don’t let their flaws get them down.
“Mother Teresa didn’t walk around complaining about her thighs – she had sh*t to do.”
19. A strong women can’t be controlled.
“If I was meant to be controlled, I would have come with a remote.”
20. Strong women don’t even consider your approval.
“I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.” -Coco Chanel
21. A strong woman is 100% herself, 100% of the time.
“The strongest actions for a woman is to love herself, be herself and shine amongst those who never believed she could.”
22. A strong woman knows how much she’s worth.
“The best women are the hardest to deal with because they know their worth.”
23. You have to work to be someone a strong woman wants around.
“The funny thing about a strong woman is that she doesn’t need you – she wants you and if you start slacking she’ll be content without you.”
24. Strong women aren’t born, they’re made.
“So many strong women start are broken girls.”
25. Strong women speak their minds and write their own stories.
“I am a woman with thoughts and questions and sh*t to say. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story – I will.” -Amy Schumer
26. A strong woman is her own hero.
“She needed a hero. So that’s what she became.”
27. A strong woman realizes she can’t be strong ALL the time, but always gets back up after a fall.
“A strong woman is one who is able to smile this morning like she wasn’t crying last night.”
28. A strong woman always gives it her all without apology.
“Never apologize for being a powerful f***ing woman.”
29. Author’s favorite quote, right here, y’all!
“She’s a strong cup of black coffee in a world that is drunk on the cheap wine of shallow love.”
30. A strong woman wont accept anything that doesn’t aid in her personal growth and happiness.
“A wise woman once said, ‘f**k this sh*t’ and she lived happily ever after.”
31. A strong and determined woman is sexy.
“When she laughed she was beautiful, when she cried she was beautiful, but, when she was determined she was sexy as hell.” -Matt Baker
32. Here’s to strong women making more strong women. Cheers!
“Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.”
33. Strong women know what feminism is all about.
“Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.”
34. I don’t see men making babies. Just sayin’.
“Woman is the dominant sex. Men have to do all sorts of stuff to prove they are worthy of a woman’s attention.” -Camille Pagla
35. A strong woman knows her worth in spite of rejection.
“I am f***ing gold, but you prefer silver, and that’s OK.”
36. Strong women need partners in life, not controlling men.
“I am not someone who can be controlled. I want someone who will watch me do my thing and be like, ‘that’s my girl’.”
37. A great description of a strong woman.
“She’s a bada** with a good heart, soft but strong. Unapologetic and honest. She’s the type of woman you go to war beside, the type of woman you marry.”
38. Strong woman are the perfect storm.
“I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible and when I leave, you will finally understand, why storms are named after people.”
39. Being a woman isn’t for the faint of heart, that’s for sure.
“Sometimes, it takes balls to be a woman.”
40. Another fantastic description of the strong woman.
“She is water. Strong enough to drown you, soft enough to cleanse you, and deep enough to save you.”
41. Strong women aren’t afraid to be smart (even if it’s smarter than the boys).
“Girls should never be afraid to be smart.” -Emma Watson
42. Strong women turn a negative into a positive.
“A queen will always turn pain into power.”
43. Strong women are on fire (see what I did there).
“Some women fear the fire, some simply become it …”
44. Strong women tend to travel in packs of fellow strong women.
“You can tell who the strong women are. They are the ones you see building one another up instead of tearing each other down.”
45. Remember to make a strong woman you need a little sugar (AND spice!).
“Sometimes an angel, sometimes a hell raiser, always a strong woman.”
46. Strong women encourage the growth of other strong women.
“And to all of the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.” -Hillary Clinton
47. This girl is on fire (see what I did there).
“As for my girls, I’ll raise them to think they breathe fire. ” -Jessica Kirkland
48. Strong women know that becoming strong is a journey worth being proud of.
“I’m proud of the woman I am today because I went through one hell of a time becoming her.”
49. Strong women demand freedom.
“One of the most beautiful sounds that I have ever heard is the sound of a beautiful, strong woman’s voice once she has discovered her true worth. She sounds empowered … She sounds confident … but most of all … she sounds free.”
50. Strong women never make themselves less for a man.
“Dear woman, Sometimes you’ll just be too much woman. Too smart, Too beautiful, Too strong, Too much of something that makes a man feel like less of a man, which will start making you feel like you have to be less of a woman. The biggest mistake that you can make is removing jewels from your own crown to make it easier for a man to carry. When this happens, I need you to understand, You do not need a smaller crown, You need a man with bigger hands.”
Nicole Bradley-Bernard is a writer who needs coffee more than she needs anyone’s approval. She enjoys putting bright colors in her curly brown hair, spending time outside on cool days and being with her partner in life, Eric, who she considers a continuing source of inspiration.