Your word is more valuable than anything else.
Sometimes you need a good quote to truly understand the importance of something. With these promise quotes, you’re sure to be re-reminded about the importance of promises (and of keeping them).
Life is always changing and evolving. This includes everything from the things in our daily lives to our emotions. All of these things make some commitments hard to keep.
The proof that sticking to your word can be hard is engrained in our society. Marriages end in divorce (and for that matter, relationships don’t last nearly as long as they used to), New Year’s resolutions are only followed through the first week of January and nearly every person has experienced the feeling of betrayal from a broken promise AND been responsible for causing that feeling for someone else.
And yet, the human spirit continues to believe in promises. Marriages still happen despite the crappy success rates, friends and resolutions continue to be made and we continue to make promises we absolutely intend to keep (and, to our credit, sometimes do!).
Promises being hard to keep doesn’t mean we should stop making them altogether. It just means we should be a little more careful about the promises we make.
Just because promises can be hard to keep doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t always be striving to keep them.
Maybe we should be making more realistic promises to ourselves and others. Because promises are tough, but sometimes, a promise is all we have to hold onto in tough times.
The promise of friendship, love, marriage or just of life’s ability to continue to go on; we need promises sometimes to keep us moving forward. And we need a good promise quote to keep us centered, realistic and hopeful about promises.
Check out these best promise quotes to give you a little more perspective regarding the importance of promises.
1. Some of the best quotes, are the simplest quotes.
“Don’t make promises you don’t intend to keep.”- Anonymous
2. This promise quote is just good advice.
“Don’t promise when you’re happy. Don’t reply when you’re angry and don’t decide when you’re sad.”-Anonymous
3. A good promise quote to hang up on your “vision board”, perhaps.
“Promise yourself, no matter how hard it gets, you’ll never give up on your dreams.”-Anonymous
4. Promise yourself that you’ll keep your promises (boom. Solved the promise-keeping problem!).
“The most important person to keep your promises to, is yourself.”- Anonymous
5. Reminder of how much it hurts when a promise is broken.
“You broke me like I was one of your f***ing promises.”- Anonymous
6. Another promise quote that is just a great piece of advice.
“Three things you should never break: promises, trust, and someone’s heart.”-Anonymous
7. A promise quote that is also a beautiful metaphor.
“A promise is a cloud, fulfillment is rain.”-Anonymous
8. Because even as an adult, it’s still a legitimate way to make a promise.
“A pinky is small, but the secrets it holds are huge.”-Anonymous
9. Remember, promises mean nothing without the accompanying actions.
“I don’t trust words, I trust actions.”-Anonymous
10. A promise quote that is a bit bleak, but gives some perspective.
“We worry about tomorrow like it’s promised.”-Anonymous
11. This is definitely what an unkept promise feels like.
“There is no greater fraud than a promise not kept.” –Gaelic Proverb
12. Proof is a different kind of promise.
“Don’t talk, act. Don’t say, show. Don’t promise, prove.”-Anonymous
13. Another great reason to always keep your promises.
“Broken vows are like broken mirrors. They leave those who held to them bleeding and staring at fractured images of themselves.” –Richard Paul Evans
14. A good “rule of thumb” when making a promise.
“Under promise. Over deliver.”-Anonymous
15. Oh, Christopher Robin. You’re so wise.
“Promise me you’ll always remember you’re braver than you believe, you are stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” –Winnie the Pooh
16. A promise quote that gives some perspective.
“We promise forever in a world where even life is temporary.”-Anonymous
17. A sweet promise from one lover to another.
“I promise to plant kisses like seeds on your body, so in time you will grow to love yourself as I love you.”-Anonymous
18. Another great reason to keep your promises.
“It’s not what a person tells you that matters. It’s how they treat you that reveals their true feelings. Their character is revealed not by the promises they make, but by the promises they keep. ”-Anonymous
19. And to reinforce the point …
“People with good intentions make promises. But people with good character keep them.”- Anonymous
20. A promise quote to illustrate the colossal consequences of a promise.
“Promise is a big word. It either makes something or it break something.”- Anonymous
21. Stop hurting your promise’s feelings (see what I did there).
“Dear promises, Don’t you feel bad for being broken over and over again?”- Anonymous
22. What the promise of a happy marriage is made out of.
“A happy marriage is about three things: memories of togetherness, forgiveness of mistakes and a promise to never give up on each other.” –Sarabhi Surendra
23. A promise quote for relationships (especially marriages).
“No matter how far, I won’t give up on you.”- Anonymous
24. Another promise quote that is just good advice.
“Don’t promise to live forever. Promise to forever live while you’re alive.” –Atticus
25. An interesting perspective on promises.
“A gentleman makes commitments. A loser makes promises.”- Anonymous
26. A promise quote for the struggling.
“I promise you, these storms are only trying to wash you clean.” –Jessica Katoff
27. Another great piece of advice.
“Promise yourself … to stress less and smile more. To have courage and strength to venture outside of your comfort zone. To leave your past behind you and appreciate this moment. Most importantly, promise yourself to always live a life YOU truly want to live.”- Anonymous
28. An adorable couples promise quote.
“If you promise to stay, I promise to never leave.”- Anonymous
29. A promise quote that promises “forever”.
“You don’t have to promise me the moon and stars. Just promise me that you will stand under them with me forever.”- Anonymous
30. A promise quote for personal strength.
“Personal promise: Each day I have to make a new promise to myself. To be braver than my past. To be stronger than my struggle. So that I may find a bigger adventure regardless of the risks.” –Chrissie Pinney
31. A promise quote for relationships.
“I don’t have much to offer, but I promise you can have the best of me.”- Anonymous
32. A promise quote about optimism.
“I promise if you keep searching for everything beautiful in this world, you will eventually become it.” –Tyler Kent White
33. A promise quote for connection (not an internet connection, but a connection nonetheless).
“There is no WIFI in the forest, but I promise you find a better connection.”- Anonymous
34. A promise quote about the consequences of breaking too many promises.
“People ask me why is it so hard to trust people. I ask them why is it so hard to keep a promise.”- Anonymous
35. You go, girl!
“She promised herself better and never looked back.”- Anonymous
Nicole Bradley-Bernard is a writer who needs coffee more than she needs anyone’s approval. She enjoys putting bright colors in her curly brown hair, spending time outside on cool days and being with her partner in life, Eric, who she considers a continuing source of inspiration.
If you’re searching for the best quotes and memes to share with the people you love (or just want to feel inspired yourself) … look no further! From the sweetest love quotes, inspirational sayings, and hilarious friendship truths, we’ve got you covered.