To all the single ladies!
How many times are you bothered with questions like “Why aren’t you dating?” or the worst “Aren’t you ever going to settle down?” Honestly, it’s enough to make you want to just marry the first person you meet just to stop all the annoying questions.
Why does everyone assume that the only way you can be happy is if you are dating someone? It’s almost as if being by yourself just isn’t cutting it anymore. And just like some of the best single quotes will show you, that kind of thinking just isn’t true.
Because whether by choice or by chance, you are a single lady. And there is no reason to be ashamed of that, no matter what your mother might say (sorry mom!).
Being single is amazing. You can do what, you want when you want, for as long as you want to. You don’t really have to answer to anyone (outside of work and such). Plus, being single opens you up to so many opportunities and you can even meet a ton of new interesting people.
When you are single you can go home after a long day and eat ice cream naked in the bathtub. Or maybe lie in bed and play chick flicks all night long while sipping Merlot. It’s up to you — you can do whatever you please.
Plus, when you’re single, you realize just how strong you really are. You have this fierce independence that you only really realize when you are on your own. There is no one in this world that can hold you back. The world is your oyster and you are excited to take it all on.
If you don’t believe us, here are 27 brilliant, and sometimes hysterical, inspirational single quotes to help you get through and totally embrace NOT being in a relationship.
1. First of all, who really wants to spend time with guys anyway?
“Personally, I, Mindy Kaling, want to spend like 80 percent of my life hanging out with women.” —Mindy Kaling
2. Also, it’s all about how you word it.
“As a self-described idealistic, I never consider myself as single. I like to say that I’m in between romances at the moment.” —Carl Henegan
3. Know that you are not single because of who you are.
“You are terrifying, and strange, and beautiful. Something not everyone knows how to love.” —Warsan Shire
4. It’s important to spend some time alone to learn who we are.
“I think it’s very healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not defined by another person.” —Oscar Wilde
5. Only give up your alone time to someone who makes your time even better.
“My alone feels so good, I’ll only have you if you’re sweeter than my solitude.” —Warsan Shire
6. Don’t be so desperate for love that you lose who you are.
“Too many women throw themselves into romance because they’re afraid of being single, then start making compromises and losing their identity. I won’t do that.” —Julie Delpy
7. That fact that you’re single just proves how strong you are.
“It takes a strong person to remain single in a world that is accustomed to settling with anything just to say they have something.” —Anonymous
8. Don’t ever let your desire for love stop you from living.
“Hope for love, pray for love, wish for love, dream for love… but don’t put your life on hold waiting for love.” —Mandy Hale, The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass
9. Stop overthinking things.
“I think, therefore I’m single.” —Liz Winston
10. Use this time to grow and become even more awesome.
“Being single isn’t a time to be looking for love. Use that time to work on yourself and grow as an individual.” —Anonymous
11. Learn to be happy because if you cannot be happy alone, you won’t ever be truly happy.
12. Being single means you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.
“I love being single. I can come and go as I please and stay out as late as I want to.” —Eric Dickerson
13. Loving yourself is the step to having a real relationship.
“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” —Oscar Wilde
14. You are the best relationship you should ever have.
“I don’t need a man to rectify my existence. The most profound relationship we’ll ever have is the one with ourselves.” —Shirley MacLaine
15. If you think about it, you technically are already in a relationship.
“I’ve been single for awhile and I have to say, it’s going very well. Like… it’s working out. I think I’m the one.” —Emily Heller
16. You are free to invite those you want, not those you need.
“Being brave enough to be alone frees you up to invite people into your life because you want them and not because you need them.” —Mandy Hale
17. Single does not mean you are lonely.
“I don’t like to be labeled as lonely just because I am alone.” —Delta Burke
18. Prove to the world that you can stand on your own.
“Sometimes you have to stand alone to prove that you can still stand.” —Anonymous
19. You can always rely on yourself.
“I like being single — I’m always there when I need me.” —Art Leo
20. Accept that the romances in rom-coms are the same as fairytales.
“I regard romantic comedies as a subgenre of sci-fi, in which the world operates according to different rules than my regular human world.” —Mindy Kaling
21. Don’t think of it as single. Think of it as being on reserve like a fine wine.
“I’m not single. I’m not taken. I’m simply on reserve for the one who deserves my heart.” —Anonymous
22. Celebrate yourself and revel in your awesomeness.
“I celebrate myself, and sing myself.” —Walt Whitman
23. Prove to the world that you can survive on your own.
“If you truly want to be respected by people you love, you must prove to them that you can survive without them.” —Michael Bassey Johnson, The Infinity Sign
24. You might be single but that doesn’t mean you don’t have options.
“Being single used to mean that nobody wanted you. Now it means you’re pretty sexy and you’re taking your time deciding how you want your life to be and who you want to spend it with.” —Carrie Bradshaw
25. Find what makes you unique and special.
“Discover why you’re important, then refuse to settle for anyone who doesn’t completely agree.” —Fisher Amelie
26. Don’t rush into anything, because we often only want what we don’t have.
“It seemed to me that the desire to get married — which, I regret to say, I believe is basic and primal in women — is followed almost immediately by an equally basic and primal urge, which is to be single again.” —Nora Ephron
27. Finally, know that you are strong for being single, never weak.
“Being single doesn’t mean you’re weak. It means you’re strong enough to wait for what you deserve.” —Anonymous
Estee Kahn is a dreamer and a romantic who writes all about love — dating, relationships, friendships, yourself, and family. You can follow her on Instagram or Twitter (@esteekahn).