Happy Presidents Day!
Our presidents are a major part of U.S. history. Every four years, “we the people” come together and vote on who the next president should be. Deciding who should run our country has always been an important decision and we should continue to treat it with the importance that it deserves.
President’s Day is a day to honor our presidents. When I think of President’s Day, the two presidents that come to mind are George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. Between helping us gain independence from Great Britain and issuing the Emancipation Proclamation, these two presidents left a huge mark on United States history.
Washington and Lincoln, along with the rest of our presidents, will never be forgotten. They made history with not only the achievements they’ve made, but with the words they’ve spoken.
Many U.S. presidents have famous quotes. People still live by the words they’ve said. Here are 45 inspiring and famous quotes from all of our United States Presidents:
1. When you should surround yourself with good company.
“Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for ’tis better to be alone than in bad company.” —George Washington
2. When it’s important to bring good into the world.
“To be good, and to do good, is all we have to do.” —John Adams
3. When a positive attitude can get you far.
“Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” —Thomas Jefferson
4. When knowledge is power.
“The advancement and diffusion of knowledge is the only guardian of true liberty.” —James Madison
5. When kind words can help others feel better.
“A little flattery will support a man through great fatigue.” —James Monroe
6. What it takes to be a good leader.
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader” —John Quincy Adams
7. When even presidents procrastinate.
“There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.” —Andrew Jackson
8. When it’s important to put in your best effort.
“It is easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn’t.” —Martin Van Buren
9. When nothing ever stays the same.
“Times change, and we change with them.” —William Henry Harrison
10. When you think about how popularity works.
“Popularity, I have always thought, may aptly be compared to a coquette – the more you woo her, the more apt is she to elude your embrace.” —John Tyler
11. When we should be grateful for what we have.
“The gratitude … should be commensurate with the boundless blessings which we enjoy.” —James K. Polk
12. When you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover.
“Never judge a stranger by his clothes.” —Zachary Taylor
13. It’s important to stay honest and fair.
“An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory.” —Milliard Fillmore
14. When the most random subjects bring up the most interesting conversations.
“Frequently, the more trifling the subject, the more animated and protracted the discussion.” —Franklin Pierce
15. When it’s important to see the potential in everything.
“The test of leadership is not to put greatness into humanity, but to elicit it, for the greatness is already there.” —James Buchanan
16. When all lies eventually come undone.
“No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.” —Abraham Lincoln
17. When it’s always a good idea to stay true to yourself.
“If you always support the correct principles then you will never get the wrong results!” —Andrew Johnson
18. Never give up, even if you’re tired.
“In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins.” —Ulysses S. Grant
19. When we all have to start somewhere.
“Every expert was once a beginner.” —Rutherford B. Hayes
20. When the truth hurts.
“The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” —James A. Garfield
21. When it’s important to start off strong.
“Where you stand depends where you sit.” —Chester A. Arthur
22. When it’s important to stand by your beliefs.
“It is better to be defeated standing for a high principle than to run by committing subterfuge.” —Grover Cleveland
23. When you leave a legacy.
“Great lives never go out; they go on.” —Benjamin Harrison
24. When you’re living your dream.
“Sometimes I wake at night in the White House and rub my eyes and wonder if it is not all a dream.” —Grover Cleveland
25. When you’re closer to success than you think.
“In the time of darkest defeat, victory may be nearest.” —William McKinley
26. When you need to stop putting the blame on others.
“If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn’t sit for a month.” —Theodore Roosevelt
27. When you should strive for greatness.
“We must dare to be great; and we must realize that greatness is the fruit of toil and sacrifice and high courage.” —William Howard Taft
28. When love isn’t about winning.
“The object of love is to serve, not to win.” —Woodrow Wilson
29. When it’s good to be ambitious.
“Ambition is a commendable attribute, without which no man succeeds. Only inconsiderate ambition imperils.” —Warren G. Harding
30. When you shouldn’t worry about what’s to come.
“If you see ten troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that nine will run into the ditch before they reach you.” —Calvin Coolidge
31. When you shouldn’t let your anger take over.
“Be patient and calm; no one can catch a fish with anger.” —Herbert Hoover
32. When your mind is the only thing that’s stopping you.
“Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.” —Franklin D. Roosevelt
33. When you learn lessons from the bad times.
“The reward of suffering is experience.” —Harry S. Truman
34. When negativity gets you nowhere.
“Pessimism never won any battle.” —Dwight D. Eisenhower
35. You’ll never accomplish anything if you never try.
“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.” —John F. Kennedy
36. When everyday is a new day.
“Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.” —Lyndon B. Johnson
37. Don’t worry about the haters.
“Remember, always give your best. Never get discouraged. Never be petty. Always remember, others may hate you. But those who hate you don’t win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.” —Richard M. Nixon
38. When you should always try your best.
“Never be satisfied with less than your very best effort. If you strive for the top and miss, you’ll still ‘beat the pack.” —Gerald R. Ford
39. When you do something even better than you thought you would.
“You can do what you have to do, and sometimes you can do it even better than you think you can.” —Jimmy Carter
40. When being a hero means being a little more brave.
“Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They’re just braver five minutes longer.” —Ronald Reagan
41. When you’re proud to be an American.
“Freedom and the power to choose should not be the privilege of wealth. They are the birthright of every American.” —George H.W. Bush
42. When you learn from your mistakes.
“If you live long enough, you’ll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you’ll be a better person. It’s how you handle adversity, not how it affects you. The main thing is never quit, never quit, never quit.” —Bill Clinton
43. When you need a little encouragement.
“We will not waver; we will not tire; we will not falter, and we will not fail. Peace and Freedom will prevail.” —George W. Bush
44. When you can make a difference in the world.
“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” —Barack Obama
45. When it’s important to stay passionate about life.
“Without passion you don’t have energy, without energy you have nothing.” —Donald J. Trump
If you’re looking for a little inspiration, we’ve got the best quotes to share and savor. For quotes from the most inspiring celebs, activists, and poets, look no further! You might even find the quote that motivates the best parts of your life (and love!) forever.
Lauren Margolis is a writer who covers astrology, pop culture and relationship topics.