Grab a bowl and read these quotes.
Cannabis has a plant unlike any other. Its medical benefits are getting increasingly well-documented by medical professionals. Medical marijuana usage has been linked to better mental health, better cancer survival rates, increased appetite, as well as a host of other positive perks.
To a point, weed has always been a part of pop culture. It was always seen as a rebellious drug, one that’s both intertwined with being free-spirited and being earthy. Though the hippie vibe surrounding cannabis culture still lives on, we’re now seeing a new wave of interest in marijuana — a more corporate interest.
With all the buzz going on about marijuana legalization in just about every state, it’s not surprising that the benefits of cannabis are starting to become even more widely discussed by everyone from doctors to students to stock market gurus. And though you may have seen weed quotes or marijuana quotes from Bob Marley or Snoop Dogg, plenty of intellectuals have had a lot to say about this plant.
1. “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” —Bob Marley
2. “When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.” —Bob Marley
3. “The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.” —Carl Sagan
4. “Is marijuana addictive? Yes, in the sense that most of the really pleasant things in life are worth endlessly repeating.” —Richard Neville
5. “To inspire himself, he lit up a marijuana cigarette, excellent Land-O-Smiles brand.” —Philip K. Dick
6. “When you smoke marijuana, you are in the moment and you are happy. You forget about any worries of the past or the future.” —Tommy Chong
7. “Smoking marijuana, as long as you leave the nicotine out of it, is certainly no more damaging than having a drink, and I suspect better for you than having a drink.” —Richard Branson
8. “I think people need to be educated to the fact that marijuana is not a drug. Marijuana is a flower. God put it here.” —Willie Nelson
9. “That is not a drug. That’s a leaf.” —Arnold Schwarzenegger
10. “Marijuana is a very dangerous drug. Some people smoke it just once and go directly into politics.” —Barry Crimmins
11. “Marijuana is quite possibly the finest of intoxicants. It has been scientifically proven, for decades, to be much less harmful to the body than alcohol when used on a regular basis.” —Nick Offerman
12. “I know you’re supposed to tell kids not to do drugs, but, kids, do it! Do weed! Don’t do the other stuff, but weed is good!” —Kevin Smith
13. “Smoke weed every day.” —Snoop Dogg
14. “A bag of weed, a bag of weed. Everything is better with a bag of weed.” —Stewie and Brian Griffin
15. “I think pot should be legal. I don’t smoke it, but I like the smell of it.” —Andy Warhol
16. “Alcohol and marijuana, if used in moderation, plus loud, usually low-class music, make stress and boredom infinitely more bearable.” —Kurt Vonnegut
17. “Weed is for the people. It’s the people’s weed.” —Jonah Hill
18. “I smoked pot in college, and in the Army…” —Al Gore
19. “The marijuana paradox: although associated with increased appetite and calorie consumption, regular use of cannabis protects against diabetes and obesity. How it manages to do so, however, is still anybody’s guess!” —The Fitness Doc
20. “Cannabis is just way too healthy for a sick health care system.” —Sebastian Marincolo
21. “Marijuana should be legalized. All drugs should be legalized. I’m tired of all the best party people being caged.” —Thor Benson
22. “Marijuana is fuel for a creative mind. F*** this prohibition.” —A.K. Kuykendall
23. “It smelled overwhelmingly of floral air fresheners being used to disguise the scent of marijuana, which works like a charm if you only ask the people smoking the marijuana.” —Mandy Ashcroft
24. “A friend with weed is a friend indeed.” —Pops O’Donnell
25. “And, to be honest, if weed is a gateway drug, then I really did hop the fence, but sometimes I can’t help but miss the sticky-sweet warmth of a good old fashioned hot box.” —Kris Kidd
26. “I definitely believe marijuana helps with menstruation. Since I started smoking pot, my girlfriend’s period has become painless for me.” —Randy Kagan
27. “I occasionally borrow pot from my kids. They do a little weed occasionally. ‘Here Dad’ — or, more likely, ‘Dad, have you got any?’” —Keith Richards
28. “It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics dope and all of that stuff. It is a thousand times better than whiskey. It is an assistant and a friend.” —Louis Armstrong
29. “The biggest killer on the planet is stress, and I still think the best medicine is and always has been cannabis.” —Willie Nelson
30. “I’ve never heard of anybody smoking a joint and going on a rampage. It makes you lie around on the floor and look at the ceiling. What’s wrong with that?” —Billy Bob Thornton
31. “I hope they legalize marijuana, and when they do I’ll be the first fucking person in line to buy my pack of joints.” —Megan Fox
32. “If you ain’t got a good job and you ain’t smoking weed, then I don’t know what the f*** you are doin’ with your life.” —Katt Williams
33. “I have always loved marijuana. It has been a source of joy and comfort to me for many years. And I still think of it as a basic staple of life, along with beer and ice and grapefruits — and millions of Americans agree with me.” —Hunter S. Thompson
34. “Smoking helped put me in touch with the realm of the senses.” —Hugh Hefner
35. “When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point.” —Barack Obama
Ossiana Tepfenhart is a Jack-of-all-trades writer based out of Red Bank, New Jersey. When she’s not writing, she’s drinking red wine and chilling with some cool cats. You can follow her @bluntandwitty on Twitter.