What do you really need in life to be happy?
Happiness is a tricky thing. Is learning to be happy an emotion or a state of being? When are we truly “happy”? Is being “happy” even attainable?
For some, the key to happiness is people. For others, it’s success (measured in a variety of ways). For the majority of the population, it’s a combination of things.
According to Psychology Today, they found that when asking people what makes them happy there were three common themes:
- Money (for “sufficient material resources” and less stress)
- A fulfilling social life, and
- A “stable environment” (i.e. religion or spirituality of some kind).
However, even with all of these components, happiness alludes many. Psychology Today explains this by explaining that the most important aspect of happiness is a “positive attitude”.
Excluding people that suffer from clinical depression, this theory completely makes sense to me.
It seems to describe why people who are rich, popular and preaching about “the good word” aren’t really happy and why people suffering from life-threatening illnesses and basically live life in pain sometimes seem happier than anyone else.
We often wonder why people who don’t seem like they should be happy are, in fact, happy and vice versa. So, it completely makes sense that, ultimately, happiness comes down to a good attitude.
Happiness seems to be a very personal thing. Something that can’t necessarily be measured or imposed on someone else. But regardless of the personal aspects of happiness, there are still some pretty universal truths surrounding it.
It takes accepting who you are while always striving to be better, and leading a fulfilling life you’re proud of. Then, of course, surrounding yourself with people you enjoy being around.
But the ultimate key still seems to be a positive attitude. So, turn that frown upside down and enjoy the 40 best quotes about happiness and what it really takes to be happy.
1. Because someday you’ll realize the little things are big things.
“Enjoy the little things.”-Anonymous
2. Remember, happy people don’t compete with each other.
“A flower does not think about competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms.”-Anonymous
3. Because someday you’ll realize that the ordinary was extraordinary.
“Find joy in the ordinary.”-Anonymous
4. This is just good advice. Shake it, y’all!
“Why be moody when you can shake yo booty.”-Anonymous
5. Because once you start, you’ll realize you have a lot.
“Never let the things you want make you forget the things you have.”-Anonymous
6. Happy people let the music lift their soul.
“Music is a safe kind of high.” –Jimi Hendrix
7. Happy people don’t allow the ignorant opinions of others to ruin their day.
“Don’t let idiots ruin your day.”- Anonymous
8. Author’s favorite quote (like ever) right here!
“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.”-Anonymous
9. Happy people don’t let themselves get stuck in the past.
“Let yourself move to the next chapter in life when the time comes. Don’t remain stuck on the same page.”-Anonymous
10. Happy people embrace every aspect of themselves (even the slightly messy parts).
“Embrace the glorious mess that you are.” –Elizabeth Gilbert
11. Again, just good advice.
“There is no angry way to say bubbles.”-Anonymous
12. Happy people notice the flowers … and occasionally take the time to smell them.
“Stop and smell the roses.”-Anonymous
13. Happy people know about their flaws and are OK with them.
“Once you’ve accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.”-Anonymous
14. Happy people know that even the difficult road is worth taking.
“Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.”-Anonymous
15. Do more of what makes you happy (yes, now).
“More sleep, More music, More tea, More books, More sunsets, More creating, More long walks, More laughter, More hugs, More dreaming, More road trips, More fun, More love.”-Anonymous
16. Happy people know it’s never “too late”.
“It’s never too late to get your sh*t together.”-Anonymous
17. Happy people embrace the weird and strut their stuff!
“Be a flamingo in a flock of pigeons.”-Anonymous
18. Happy people don’t surround themselves with crummy people.
“You cannot change the people around you, but you can change the people you choose to be around.”-Anonymous
19. Happy people know that resting and quitting are different.
“If you get tired learn to rest, not to quit.” –Blanksy
20. Happy people know when to say “no”.
“Stop saying yes to sh*t you hate.”-Anonymous
21. More good advice.
“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.” –E.E. Cummings
22. Happy people know they’re not perfect, and that’s perfectly OK.
“There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.”-Anonymous
23. A very profound and inspiring quote.
“Every flower must grow through dirt.”-Anonymous
24. I mean, seriously?
“Honestly as long as you’re happy who the hell cares.”-Anonymous
25. Don’t let the haters get you down, boo!
“Life is too short to worry about stupid things. Have fun. Fall in love. Regret nothing, and don’t let people bring you down.”-Anonymous
26. Happy people know the value of self-care.
“It’s not selfish to do what is best for you.” –Mark Sutton
27. Happy people know that every journey begins somewhere.
“Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.” –Jon Acuff
28. Happy people accept what is, and are happy anyway.
“Being happy doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. It means that you’ve decided to look beyond the imperfections.”-Anonymous
29. Another piece of excellent advice.
“Life is better when you’re laughing.”-Anonymous
30. Happy people know that life never happens like you plan it, but that’s OK.
“Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will.”-Anonymous
31. Happy people don’t settle.
“The only way to do great work is to love what you do. Don’t settle. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.” –Steve Jobs
32. Happy people are 100% genuine, 100% of the time.
“People are going to judge you anyway, so forget everyone and be yourself.”-Anonymous
33. Happy people learn to cope with stress.
“Don’t think too much. You’ll create a problem that wasn’t even there in the first place.”-Anonymous
34. Happy people surround themselves with people that help them stay happy.
“I like to hang out with people who make me forget to look at my phone.”-Anonymous
35. Happy people take care of themselves.
“Think positively. Exercise daily. Eat healthy. Work hard. Stay strong. Worry less. Dance more. Love often. Be happy.”-Anonymous
36. Something we could all do a little more.
“Strive for progress, not perfection.”-Anonymous
37. Happy people don’t overcomplicate their lives.
“Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be.”-Anonymous
38. Happy people know it wont be easy … but it will be worth it.
“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” –Nelson Mandela
39. Happy people take life one step at a time.
“Take it all one day at a time and enjoy the journey.”-Anonymous
40. Happy people know their happiness, ultimately, depends on them.
“Being happy is a very personal thing and it really has nothing to do with anyone else.”-Anonymous
Nicole Bradley-Bernard is a writer who needs coffee more than she needs anyone’s approval. She enjoys putting bright colors in her curly brown hair, spending time outside on cool days and being with her partner in life, Eric, who she considers a continuing source of inspiration.
If you’re looking for a little inspiration, we’ve got the best quotes to share and savor. For quotes from the most inspiring celebs, activists, and poets, look no further! You might even find the quote that motivates the best parts of your life (and love!) forever.