Love it or hate it — your siblings are bonded to you for life.
I’ll be the first to admit that I used to find National Siblings Day to be a little … exhausting. I mean, really? A day dedicated to celebrating your most annoying family members? Weren’t we forced to spend enough time with them throughout our childhood — why now again, when we’re all grown up and finally getting our own friends?
But the reality is we get caught up in our own lives — and relationships with people that matter the most tend to slip through the cracks. So, we have days like National Siblings Day to force us to take a minute (or a whole day) to think about the people that matter. Yes, that means your brothers and sisters.
According to CNN, National Siblings Day was founded by Claudia Evart in honor of her siblings, whom she lost early in life.
The date of National Siblings Day (April 10th) was her late sister, Lisette’s birthday. So, be sure to appreciate your sibling(s) while you can.
This National Siblings Day, consider sending your sister(s) and/or brother(s) a quote or meme that perfectly sums up your unique and special relationship.
Tip: be sure to include a personal heartfelt message … or it’s totally cheating (yeah, I’m calling you out on it! Just like they will.)
So, this National Siblings Day, I’ll cave. Because I’m basically an expert on siblings anyway… so why not? (I have six siblings. Yep, SIX. The oldest of three sisters and three brothers. You could describe us as “weirdly close”, as far as siblings go.)
Siblings are some of the strongest bonds we can have in this world — they can be the first people you tell when something good happens, the last people you want to see when you’re struggling and ironically, the ones you need most when you do. Your siblings can be your biggest source of strength and inspiration.
So, in honor of National Siblings Day, take a minute and find the perfect quote for your brother or sister that perfectly sums up your relationship.
1. A friendly reminder to my own siblings this year. You know you love me *wink, wink*.
“It’s National Siblings Day, so I just wanted to let you know you are lucky to have me as a sister.” -Anonymous
2. Remind them that you are who you are because of them (whether it’s good or bad).
“Everything I am, you helped me be.” -Anonymous
3. Because siblings are even closer than friends.
“I loved you too much to just be your friend. So God made me your sister.” -Anonymous
4. There are lots of reasons to stay close to your siblings *wink, wink*.
“Happy National Siblings Day to my closest compatible organ donor.” -Anonymous
5. This was basically the sentiment of my wedding toast at my oldest little sister’s wedding (yes, I’m serious).
“She is my best friend. If you break her heart, I’ll break your face.” -Anonymous
6. Siblings remind you of a simpler time.
“A sibling is the lense through which you see your childhood.” -Ann Hood
7. Puns are funny. Especially when they speak the truth.
“There’s no buddy like a brother.” -Anonymous
8. Be mad, there’s nothing you can do about it.
“I smile because you’re my sister. I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it.” -Anonymous
9. Having a sibling means that you always have someone who is there for you.
“Being brother and sister means being there for each other.” -Anonymous
10. People without lots of siblings simply don’t get it.
“If you don’t understand how a woman could love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time. Then you were probably an only child.” -Anonymous
11. Siblings argue, but they always love each other anyway.
“Not always eye to eye, but always heart to heart.” -Anonymous
12. Sappy as heck, but accurate.
“The greatest gift our parents ever gave us was each other.” -Anonymous
13. It’s me. I’m the “bigger, crazier sister”, don’t mess with me!
“If you mess with the little sister, there’s always a bigger, crazier sister lurking … with access to a shovel and heavily wooded areas.” -Anonymous
14. Siblings are often the first playmates we have and some of the best memories are with them.
“We didn’t even realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun.” -Winnie the Pooh
15. Bonds between siblings tend to be stronger than most.
“Brothers are playmates in the beginning and best friends for life!” -Anonymous
16. That feeling you got as the oldest when you were suddenly OK with sharing mom and dad’s love.
“Sometimes being a big sister is even better than being a princess.” -Anonymous
17. I’ve never wanted to hit a child more than I have when they’ve picked on my little siblings.
“Older siblings … The only people who will pick on you for their own entertainment and beat up anyone else who tries.” -Anonymous
18. Mostly because I think my siblings like this quote.
“Ohana means family and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.” -Lilo and Stitch
19. The relationship between siblings is like no other.
“To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other’s hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs & joys. We live outside the touch of time. ” -Anonymous
20. They’re some of the only people you can pick on as you simultaneously support them.
“You and I are sisters. Always remember that if you fall, I will pick you up … after I finish laughing.” -Anonymous
21. A promise to my nephew, who is about to be a big brother.
“Being a brother is even better than being a superhero.” -Anonymous
22. When you’ve got siblings, you never have to struggle alone.
“I can’t promise to solve all your problems, but I can promise you won’t have to face them alone.” -Anonymous
23.They’re some of the only people you hate to love.
“Siblings (n.) a combination of a best friend and a pain in the neck. They might be the most annoying people around you but you still love them endlessly.” -Anonymous
24. Yeah, yeah, us older sisters get it. We’re smart a**es.
“They say with age comes wisdom, which explains why my much older sister is such a wise a**. Happy National Siblings Day.” -Anonymous
25. A great profound quote to illustrate the sibling bond.
“Your parents leave you too soon and your kids and spouse come along late, but your siblings know you when you when you are in your most inchoate form.” -Jeffrey Kluger
26. Siblings are the people we can be our weirdest selves with.
“Siblings: children of the same parents, each of whom is perfectly normal until they get together.” -Sam Levenson
27. A good quote for brotherly love.
“Love between brothers is messy, loud, rough, sweet, fierce, fun, unique, forever.” -Anonymous
28. Older siblings will always want to protect their younger siblings.
“Hold my hand big sister all the years through, Hold my hand little brother for I will always love and protect you.” -Anonymous
29. My personal favorite about how strong the sibling bond is.
“Sibling relationships – – and 80% of Americans have at least one – – outlast marriages, survive the death of parents, resurface after quarrels that would sink any friendship. They flourish in a thousand incarnations of distance and closeness, warmth, loyalty and distrust.” -Erica E. Goode
30. Me too, Maureen, me too.
“I was born into the most remarkable and eccentric family I could have possibly hoped for.” -Maureen O’Hara
31. A cutesy quote.
“I walk down memory lane because I love running into you.” -Anonymous
32. A girly symbolic quote.
“Sisters are different flowers from the same garden.” -Anonymous
33. A good one about brotherly bonds.
“Brothers get dirty, play catch, defend & protect, laugh, imagine, build forts, tell secrets, invent, ride bicycles, sell lemonade, catch bugs, build Lego, wrestle, have sleepovers, misbehave, play cars, day dream, climb trees, hold hands, count the stars, fight, build sandcastles; together.” -Anonymous
34. Home is wherever your crazy siblings are.
“Home is wherever by bunch of crazies are.” -Anonymous
35. As you grow, there’s not a lot better than watching them be happy.
“Seeing you smile makes me smile too.” -Anonymous
36. Sisters are one of the best parts of life.
“In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips.” -Anonymous
37. A friend (even a best friend) can never replace a brother.
“Brothers, are what best friends can never be …” -Anonymous
38. No matter how different your paths may be, you’ll always share the same start.
“Like branches on a tree … we may grow in different directions, but our roots remain as one.” -Anonymous
39. Siblings end up becoming the best friends.
“Siblings by chance. Friends by choice.” -Anonymous
40. To my siblings, always remember:
“As sure as the sun will rise every morning and set in the evening just the same, I will love you all the days of my life.” -Fawn Weaver
Nicole Bradley-Bernard is a writer who needs coffee more than she needs anyone’s approval. She enjoys putting bright colors in her curly brown hair, spending time outside on cool days and being with her partner in life, Eric, who she considers a continuing source of inspiration.
If you’re searching for the best quotes and memes to share with the people you love (or just want to feel inspired yourself) … look no further! From the sweetest love quotes, inspirational sayings, and hilarious friendship truths, we’ve got you covered.