Fake friends. Who needs them, am I right?!
They’re the absolute worst. They add nothing to your life and if anything, they make your life worse. Their sole purpose is to bring you down and who needs that?
You can be fooled at first, but eventually everyone’s true colors come out. Sometimes it takes a certain scenario to bring that side of them to light but once you see the real them, drop them. It will only get worse from there because you’ll start to notice the falseness more and more.
We’ve all had our fair share of toxic and fair-weather friends. They’re surprisingly hard to let go of, especially if you’re the type of person who tries to find the good in everyone. Some people are just plain nasty and there’s nothing you can do to fix them.
When I finally dropped a fake friend last year that I had since fifth grade, I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. All she did was bring me down. She was never happy for me and would always try to one-up me. All we ever talked about was her problems because she never cared about mine. I hit my limit, cut her off, and let me tell you something — I never looked back.
You’ll certainly learn a lot from a toxic friendship and be able to spot the signs to look for in said fake friends. If a “friendship” causes you stress and brings about low self esteem more than it’s making you happy, that person isn’t a real friend. Real friends are there for each other through good and bad times. Real friends will never ditch you for a better offer or say hurtful things to you to bring you down.
I sometimes plan out in my head all of the things I would have said to her. These sassy quotes certainly capture how it feels to have fake friend, so send them her way!
1. When your fake friends are jealous of you.
“Don’t worry about those who talk behind your back. They’re behind you for a reason.” — Unknown
2. When you know your worth.
“I’d rather have no friends than fake ones.” — Unknown
3. When they always want you to be below them.
“They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that.” — Unknown
4. When they don’t deserve a second chance.
“Sometimes giving someone a second chance is like giving them an extra bullet for their gun because they missed you the first time.” — Unknown
5. When they’re a back-stabber.
“Oh I’m sorry you didn’t get the memo that we weren’t friends anymore. I left it right next to the knife you used to stab me in the back with.” — Unknown
6. When they pretend to be your friend.
“Some friends are like pennies, two-faced and worthless.” — Unknown
7. When they’re an enemy disguised as a friend.
“I’d rather have an enemy who admits they hate me, instead of a friend who secretly puts me down.” — Unknown
8. When real friends are rare.
“Fake people don’t surprise me anymore, loyal people do.” — Unknown
9. When they use you.
“Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot I only exist when you need something.” — Unknown
10. When they talk about you behind your back.
“If you have a problem with me, tell me, not everyone else.” — Unknown
11. When people are only friends with you out of convenience.
“You don’t need to waste your time on someone who only wants you around when it fits their needs.” — Unknown
12. When a “friend” really acts like a bully.
“One fake friend can do more damage than five enemies.” — Unknown
13. When you need to surround yourself with genuine people.
“This year I only want to be around the people that love me, not the people that pretend they do.” — Unknown
14. When you drop your fake friends and discover your real ones.
“Sometimes your circle decreases in size, but increases in value.” — Unknown
15. When they were never your friend to begin with.
“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realized I never had one.” — Unknown
16. When you’re a genuine person.
“I may not be perfect, but at least I’m not fake.” — Unknown
17. When you figure out who your true friends are.
“We don’t lose friends, we just learn who our real ones are.” — Unknown
18. When you’re better off without them.
“Don’t be afraid of losing someone who doesn’t feel lucky to have you.” — Unknown
19. When people’s true colors come out.
“It is not my role to expose the fake people. In due time, they will expose themselves for who they really are.” — Unknown
20. Real friends are there for you no matter what.
“Friendship is everyday, not just when it’s convenient for you.” — Unknown
21. They’re not there for you when times are tough.
“A real situation will expose a fake friend.” — Unknown
22. When you prefer having enemies over fake friends.
“An open enemy is better than a false friend.” — Greek Proverb
23. When they spread rumors about you.
“You and your rumors have two things in common: you’re both fake and you both get around.” — Unknown
24. When they act like they’re out for your best interest.
“Oh please, don’t pretend like you actually care.” — Unknown
25. When fake friends try to change you for the worst.
“Bad company corrupts good character.” — 1 Corinthians 15:33
If you’re searching for the best quotes and memes to share with the people you love (or just want to feel inspired yourself) … look no further! From the sweetest love quotes, inspirational sayings, and hilarious friendship truths, we’ve got you covered.
Lauren Margolis is a writer who covers astrology, pop culture and relationship topics.