“Love is the seed of all hope. It is the enticement to trust, to risk, to try, to go on.”
I dated online for 10 years. I went out with 300 women. I had my heart broken four times.
I thought there was something wrong with me. I thought there was something wrong with all the women in Los Angeles.
Then, I met my wife.
From the second we got married, my entire worldview changed. I went from pessimist to optimist, virtually overnight.
Now, after over a decade of dating and relationship coaching, a good portion of my job is to help women restore their faith in dating, relationships, and men — to help you realize that unconditional love is real and it can be yours — but only if you persevere.
Here are 11 powerful love quotes and why it is always worth the effort:
1. “Love is the seed of all hope. It is the enticement to trust, to risk, to try, to go on.” — Gloria Gaither
You may be tired of Match, OkCupid, and Tinder. You may be wary of dating, sex, and men. You may have been disappointed by every relationship you’ve ever had.
Yet, there’s something about love that makes you always come back for more. Romantic love is the most powerful force on earth and the best predictor of your own happiness.
Just remember: it only takes one man to make your entire search worthwhile.
2. “Love is like quicksilver in the hand. Leave the fingers open and it stays. Clutch it, and it darts away.” — Dorothy Parker
3. “Love is everything it’s cracked up to be. That’s why people are so cynical about it…It really is worth fighting for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don’t risk everything, you risk even more.” — Erica Jong
When you’ve been hurt by love, it’s increasingly hard to get back out there.
Maybe you’re older. Maybe you’re wiser. Maybe you have a hard time believing in yourself or trusting men. It’s easy to sit on the sidelines and focus on work, family, and friends.
The problem is that by playing things safe, you close yourself off to the very thing you desire the most.
4. “Love doesn’t make the world go round, love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” — Elizabeth Browning
5. “Love is not finding someone to live with, it’s finding someone you can’t live without.” — Rafael Ortiz
Think about those times when you were madly in love. Think about how you felt. Think about the warm hugs after work. Think about the inside jokes that only you shared. Think about the lazy Sundays in bed.
Think about what it felt like to have — if only for a fleeting time — a best friend, lover, and partner-in-crime.
Sure, you can be happy alone — and you should be.
But make no mistake: life is better when you’re sharing the ride with the right man.
6. “Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only with what you are expecting to give — which is everything.” — Katherine Hepburn
7. “Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.” — Peter Ustinov
8. “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” — Robert A. Heinlein
One of the most beautiful things about love is how it brings out the best in you.
True love doesn’t involve being selfish, keeping score, or trying to change your partner; the only way for love to thrive is to accept him as he is and offer your full attention and devotion. When you do that and he does the same in return, your relationship will flourish.
9. “Love is not losing freedom, it is sharing freedom with another.” — Unknown
10. “Love is what is left in a relationship after all the selfishness is taken out.” — Nick Richardson
After ten years with my wife, what continues to shock me is how true these statements are. In a healthy marriage, there is no “ball and chain” nor a loss of freedom. There is only a commitment to each other’s happiness.
My wife and I ask ourselves daily, “How can I make your life better today?” The answer is what allows us to grow closer over time instead of growing apart.
11.”Love means to commit oneself without guarantee, to give oneself completely in the hope that our love will produce love in the loved person. Love is an act of faith, and whoever is of little faith is also of little love.” — Erich Fromm
When you’re in love, you have no choice but to make yourself vulnerable. Even in the best relationships, both of you have the right to leave anytime. But you don’t. That’s the point.
Love starts off as an involuntary feeling of excitement — Lust! Connection! Soulmates! — but eventually, it evolves into something deeper.
The commitment to the commitment. The dedication to put another’s needs before yours. The willingness to be as kind to your spouse as you would your best friend.
These quotes are a great reminder of what love feels like and why it’s always worth the effort.
Now, go out, have faith, and make it happen for yourself.
Evan Marc Katz is a dating coach for smart women who have everything but the guy. If you want to learn the #1 reason you’re having trouble finding him — and what you can do about it instantly, visit his website.